Etiquette at the Table of LaSalle

Editor’s Note: The following post is an assignment from the La Salle faculty training course Collaboration Online Plus. In this assignment, course participants are tasked with redesigning an face-to-face lesson for the online environment. Please show support to your fellow Lasallians by leaving your feedback on their ideas in the comments section below this post.

elegant table setting

Class Etiquette

Please understand that there is a certain type of etiquette that must be upheld in the class when posting in discussion areas and when turning in college work.  With that being said:    

What behaviors do you think are appropriate in the classroom/on-line setting?  Is there a way students should post and respond to each others post?  Lets establish etiquette.

Using the whiteboard tools, identify at least two forms of classroom etiquette.  You may use the text tool, draw pictures, or do anything that will tell us what your expectations are.

If someone post before you, you can not repeat that choice.   

Once everyone has post. Each student must identify their top three etiquette. Explain the reason for each of your choices. 

6 Responses

1. Renee:

We meet again on the message board! I think your use of the white board to discuss online etiquette, especially during message boards, is a good exercise to do online in a synchronous session. We talk about classroom behavior in the classroom, so I think its good to use the online environment to develop rules and standards for that environment. In what the students post, you may get a sense of which students need more guidance and refinement in the online community. For example, if a student says ‘Anything goes!’ that may require an intervention on boundaries and self-awareness.

Cheers,

~Matthew

2. Mey-Yen Moriuchi

I like the idea of doing something like this at the beginning of the course to introduce the rules of an online course and also to get student buy in right away.

3. Laura Grande

This is a great idea. Will you use the students’ ideas to decide the rules of the course, or will you have a set of rules that you will use ahead of time?

4. Nick Gogno
    Nick Gogno

Good idea to bring this strategy online. I have used the strategy before in the face-to-face classroom. At the beginning of the course, I would block out some time to use the whiteboard (the actual, physical whiteboard) to do some brainstorming of some class ground rules. By the end of the exercise, the students and I would come up with a more formal list of standards of classroom etiquette. The students felt like they had input and so they had more buy-in, and I was also guiding them to the class rules I had in mind anyway. I don’t see why this type of exercise couldn’t work in a synchronous session at the beginning of an online course. Good luck with it!

5. Corrado Gigante

Hi Renee. I like the idea of having students contribute to setting ground rules. I would also ask them to share what their expectations are for the course.

Corrado

6. Michael Rivera

There seems to be tremendous value in establishing ground rules for discuss boards early on in the classroom experience. Student might bring all sorts of assumptions into the classroom. Taking the time to establish expectations can really serve all well.