As recently announced in this venerable publication and elsewhere, La Salle will be replacing Blackboard Collaborate with a new synchronous conferencing tool called GoToTraining for the start of Summer 2014 courses. If you have recorded any of your course meetings in Blackboard Collaborate, now is the time to convert those recordings into video files and download them for safe-keeping. These files should be moved to an area outside of Blackboard by the end of May 2014. After May 31st, they will be irretrievable and lost forever.
Here are the steps to convert and retrieve your Blackboard Collaborate recordings:
- Log in to Blackboard, and navigate to the Collaborate area of your course.
- Click on the Recordings tab underneath the two blue buttons to display a list of your recordings.
- Find the row for the recording you want to save as a video file.
- Click the Convert link in the far right hand column labeled Video (MP4) to begin the conversion process. Please note that the video conversion process may take up to 24 hours.
- When the recording is finished converting, click the play button that appears in the Video (MP4) column to access the movie.
- On the next screen, click the Download button and select Save File in the dialog box to save the video to your computer’s Download folder.
You should move saved video files out of the Downloads folder to an appropriate place on your hard drive, an external drive, or a file hosting service like OneDrive or Dropbox where they won’t be easily lost. If you plan on reusing the videos for a future course, try hosting them on a streaming video site like YouTube or Vimeo for easy viewing. Check out this PDF for more information on uploading videos to YouTube.
If you have any questions about retrieving your Blackboard Collaborate recordings or using videos in your online and hybrid course, please contact the Instructional Design team at IDteam@lasalle.edu.