Looking to connect with your online class quickly and effectively? Micro-lectures might be the answer. A micro-lectures is a short (several minutes or less) video that relates to the week’ s online activities. Couple an assignment with one, and you’ve got a great way to reach your students.
To create a micro-lecture:
- List the key concepts you are trying to convey in your regular lecture. That series of phrases will form the core of your micro-lecture.
- Write a 15 to 30-second introduction and conclusion. They will provide context for your key concepts.
- Record these three elements using a microphone and Web camera. If you want to produce an audio-only lecture, no Webcam is necessary. The finished product should be 60 seconds to three minutes long.
- Design an assignment to follow the lecture that will direct students to readings or activities that allow them to explore the key concepts.
- Upload the video and assignment to Blackboard.
Additional information on micro-lectures: