Use of Breakout Room-Group Scavenger Hunt in Leadership Development Course

Editor’s Note: The following post is an assignment from the La Salle faculty training course Collaboration Online Plus. In this assignment, course participants are tasked with redesigning an face-to-face lesson for the online environment. Please show support to your fellow Lasallians by leaving your feedback on their ideas in the comments section below this post.

Using Breakout Room- Group Scavenger Hunt in Leadership Development Course

Utilizing the Breakout room- group scavenger hunt approach would allow for a small group of students to combine their talents in responding to a set of questions. That effort will later form their answers to not only the questions, but also a brief presentation to the larger class. The questions would be as follow:

In his article “Leadership That Gets Results” Daniel Goleman defines six different leadership styles. Please identify six well known leaders, either in private or public sectors, each exhibiting one or more of these six differences. These leaders may be historic persons or present day ones.

For each of those identified leaders, provide examples of their traits and how those are manifested in their actions or lack of actions.

For each leader, does the group agree with the public’s commonly held view of that leader’s leadership style?

What events can you identify that may have helped shape that leader’s style?

Have any members of the group changed their view of any of the leaders as a result of this exercise and why?

Join the Conversation

5 Comments

1. I like the use of breakout rooms in synchronous sessions, especially if students are required to return back to the larger group space and share out what they learned in the breakout room. In activities like these, it is important to provide students with suggested roles to keep them on track and organized. For example, one person might be the note-taker, another the presenter, and so on.

2. I also think that the breakout rooms seem like a great way to encourage collaboration. I like that you have asked specific questions here and that the questions encourage discussion among your students. How long do you think you would give the students to complete an assignment like this? The article itself suggested 10 minutes, but I think that might not be very much time for the students to research and discuss 6 different leaders.

1. I was not focusing on the time frame when I posed those questions. I was thinking more along the lines of a group project over a period of several weeks for completion. I agree with you that the use of a breakout room for short turn around responses would require more limited lines of inquiry. In that case I would limit the question to an examination of a particular trait for a particular leader.

3. Corrado:

Thank you for discussing the breakout rooms! It appears that they are similar to breaking the class into small groups. I never used a breakout room and am wondering if the instructor sees the progress of each group and can chime in as needed…similar to walking around the class to provide clarity and direction.

~Matthew

4. This activity sounds really interesting! I’ve done something similar in a Group Dynamics course I’ve taught but I really like your follow up questions. They seem like they will stimulate some great conversation and get students to look at leaders in a different light!