You might notice a new feature in Canvas called student context cards. With this feature, Canvas is making it easier for faculty members to see a snapshot of an individual student’s progress in a course and to send an individual student a message in Canvas.
Now when teachers click on a student’s name anywhere in your Canvas, they will see:
• The student’s name and profile picture
• The course name and section
• The date and time of the student’s last login to the Canvas course
• The student’s current grade according to grading scheme set in the course settings and assignments page
• A count of any missing or late assignments
• Scores on the last 10 graded assignments
• A link to the full grades page for that student
• A link to the course analytics report for that student
• A link to message that student in Canvas
• The standard deviation of that student’s participation as compared with other students in the course (none, low, moderate, or high)
• The standard deviation of that student’s page views as compared with other students in the course (none, low, moderate, or high)
Please note that a student’s activity on the Canvas mobile app is not included in this report, unless that student accessed Canvas through a mobile browser. Context cards will only be available for users with student roles in the course; they are not supported for teachers, TAs, and other roles or for inactive students. Only teachers and admins can view student context cards; students will not be able to see another student’s context card.