If you are teaching the same course from semester to semester, you can copy previous course content in its entirety or specific content, into your upcoming course. You only have access to content from current or previous courses in which you are an enrolled teacher.
- Importing a course more than once may have unintended consequences. If you import content into a new course, edit the content in the new course, and later import the previous content again, the imported content will override the existing content.
- You can only copy content from a course that you can currently access. This includes any past or future courses that allow instructor access outside active term dates.
How to import from another course:
- Go to the new course that you want to import the previous content into.
- In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
- Click the Import Course Content link.
- In the Content Type drop-down menu, select the Copy a Canvas Course option.
- In the Search for a course drop-down menu, select the course you would like to access. Courses are ordered alphabetically by most recent term. You can also choose to include completed courses by selecting the completed courses checkbox. The Include completed courses checkbox is selected by default.To search for a course by name, enter the name in the Course Name field. Click the name of the course when it appears. Note: If you have access to more than 100 courses, the search page only displays the Course Name field.
- To import all content from the course, select the All Content radio button. If you want to select specific content, click the Select specific content radio button. Note: If you select the specific content option, you are required to select the content you want to import after you review the remaining page options. After you start importing the content, the import selection cannot be canceled.
- If you want to adjust the due dates associated with the course events and assignments, click the Adjust events and due dates checkbox.
- Click the Import button.
- The Current Jobs section displays the status of your import. Running reports display a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import. If you chose to select specific content in your course, the current job will show as Waiting for Select, which means you must select the content you want to import. The import may also display other status indicators as part of the import process. Learn more about course import statuses. View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.
The video below guides you through the steps to import content from another course in Canvas.
For information, here are some additional tutorials:
- What is the Course Import Tool
- How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool?
Contact any member of the Instructional Design team and we’ll be happy to assist you.