*Vericite will be replaced by TurnitIn’s SimCheck January, 2021
PLEASE NOTE: No plagiarism service is authoritative or has complete coverage because it’s not possible to access and index 100% of all online content that might be submitted in a paper. For example, publishers’ content such as scholarly journals, textbooks, and subscription-based periodicals aren’t openly distributed. Libraries pay license fees to access these databases of publishers’ content. Publishers don’t allow this content to be openly indexed.
VeriCite is an online tool that La Salle has integrated with Canvas to check students’ written work for improper citation and possible plagiarism. This plagiarism detection service automatically checks submitted work against an index of online sources and can be enabled directly in the Assignment settings in Canvas. It gives an indicator of the likelihood of plagiarism and provides instructors with detailed information about the possible sources that students used in a VeriCite Report.
Sources Checked By Vericite
- VeriCite’s massive index of public resources.
- Microsoft’s Bing search index.
- La Salle’s private repository of student papers submitted to VeriCite which is indexed and encrypted.
- VeriCite does not have access to private journals; these sources cannot be checked.
Introducing SimCheck! Spring semester 2021.
Turnitin’s SimCheck is a plagiarism prevention system that makes it easy to identify students who submit unoriginal work. It acts as a powerful deterrent to stop plagiarism before it starts.
All work submitted to SimCheck is checked against three databases of content:
- a copy of the publicly accessible Internet,
- millions of published works,
- papers submitted to La Salle University’s repository.
Students can upload the following documents:
- Microsoft Word™ (DOC and DOCX)
- Microsoft PowerPoint™ (PPT and PPTX)
- Plain text (TXT)
- Rich Text Format (RTF)
- Portable Document Format (PDF)
- OpenOffice (ODF)
- Zip files (ZIP) to submit multiple files at once; limit is 100 files OR 100MB
NOTE: PDF documents must contain text to be submitted. PDF files containing only images of text will be rejected during the upload attempt.